Wednesday 19 December 2012

Landscapes

My final project for year 1 at Canterbury Christchurch was a very open, self directed landscape project.  We were encouraged lead ourselves to go out into various landscapes and create a series of drawings.

I began by creating various charcoal drawings of Canterbury Cathedral, as well as one of some trees.  I focused on getting an accurate composition, but I also wanted them to appear gloomy, as charcoal lent itself to this feeling. 


 
 

I wanted some of my drawings to be quite illustrative so, for the following drawings, I used biro and some oil pastel.  The cathedral drawing was a continuous line drawing; I tried to draw it without taking the pen off the page.

 

 
 
After this I became more expressive.  Thinking back to my workshop on Experimental Ink Studies, I used various wooden tools to draw trees using acrylic paint.  I wanted to reflect the shapes of the tree using a piece of tree, as I felt this was appropriate.  I used a cotton bud for the dots of the blossom and leaves.  The final work is on a piece of cardboard, where I tore out the shape of the tree into the branches rather than drawing it.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment