Monday 14 May 2012

Personal Study: Portraits

Personal Study

Over the last year I have been, as well as doing other things, working on a personal project, where I could choose to look at a subject of my choice in any medium. I chose to work in 2D and look at portraits.  I decided I wanted to use the idea of portraits more as a way in to creating some more abstract work. This allowed me to focus more on the compositions and colour combinations of my work.

Artists who inspired this project:

Frank Auerbach:

 Like I wanted to do, Auerbach's work is evidently based on portraits yet it is also clearly abstract.  He famously paints and then scrapes off the paint and works on top of the ghostly image that it leaves.  He overly works into his drawings, as you can tell by the patched up paper on the left. I like this idea of continueing to work into a piece, as I thought it would help me to focus on the compositions and colour combinations of my work.  Auerbach has a great consideration of the balance of light and dark in his work, as well as the texture.

Leon Kossoff:

For similar reasons to Auerbach (above)





















Paul Gauguin & Henri Matisse:

Both of these artists have a fantastic use of colour, jutting bright complememtary colours against eachother to enhance their work.












Like all the others, Creffield's work also has a good use of compostion and contrast in light and dark.  What particularly inspired me about his work is how he removed some of the facial features.  This really helped me to abstract my portraits, allowing me to focus more on the composition and the relationships of colour and texture within my work.


A Sample of My Work for this Project:

I hope you can see both the influence of all these artists and my own intentions.  Enjoy!













 



No comments:

Post a Comment